Permit in Sikkim
The Indian state of Sikkim has some regulations and restrictions regarding travel, trekking & expedition in Sikkim. Hence you need to obtain certain Permit in Sikkim depending on your:
- Area/places to visit
Here we will detail the different permits required by the administration/authority. We also hope this helps you plan a trip to Sikkim independently.
There are two main Permit in Sikkim as follows:
- Restricted Area Permit (RAP), same as Inner Line Permit (ILP)
- Protected area permit (PAP)
Indian citizen are only need to obtain only PAP to trek or travel some places in North, East & West Sikkim.
You will need to obtain Restricted Area permit (RAP) to enter Sikkim if you are a foreigner. This is also necessary for Foreign Citizens of India (OCI). You will also need PAP to Trek in the west/north of Sikkim along with sightseeing in the north Sikkim and some areas in the east of Sikkim.
For both Indians and foreigners, you must apply PAP through a registered tour operator with Sikkim Tourism . See the section below for more details.
How to Obtain Restricted Area Permit (RAP) :
The Restricted Area Permit (RAP) or Inner Line Permit (ILP) can be obtained from all Indian Missions, Sikkim Tourism Offices at New Delhi, Kolkata, District Magistrates Office of Darjeeling, Siliguri, and Rangpo on the strength of an Indian Visa. The 30 days duration Permit is issued on the spot without any delay provided photocopies of the passport and visa along with two passport size photos of the applicants are made available. The permissible duration of the stay for foreign tourists is 30 days initially.
The State Government is authorized to extend the same by a further period of 30 days. The extension of the permit can be obtained from Foreigners Registration Offices (FRO) at Gangtok and the office of the Superintendent of Police of the North, West, and South Districts.
RAP is issued free of cost by :
- Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, Lok Nayak Bhawan, New Delhi
- All Foreigners Registration Offices.
- All Indian Mission Abroad
- Immigration Offices at Airports at Mumbai, Kolkatta, Chennai, and New Delhi
- Assistant Director – Tourism Department, Sikkim House, Panchasheel Marg, New Delhi
- Deputy Director, SNT Complex, Siliguri, Tourism Department
- Assistant Director – Tourism Department, Sikkim Tourism Office, 4/1 Middleton Street, Kolkata
- Resident Commissioner, Government of Sikkim, Sikkim House, New Delhi1
- Assistant Director– Tourism Department, Melli, Near Melli Police Check Post, South Sikkim ( Please note: ILP issuing time is from 8 am to 8 pm every day.)
- Deputy Commissioner, Darjeeling, West Bengal
- Assistant Director, Tourism Department, Sikkim Tourism Office, Rangpo, East Sikkim
- Deputy Secretary/ Under Secretary, Home Department, Government of West Bengal, Kolkata
The Nationalities of Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Myanmar, and Nigeria will not be issued Permit without the prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.
Protected Area Permit (PAP) in Sikkim for various places are issued as follows:-
- Tsongo –Baba Mandir– Zuluk – permits are issued by Police Check Post for Domestic Tourists. Foreign tourists are allowed till Tsongo Lake, a permit is issued by Tourism & Civil Aviation Department and Police check post.
- Nathula Pass: Permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police Check Post for domestic tourists.
- Dzongri -Goechala Trek :Permit is issued by Adventure Cell of Tourism & Civil Aviation Department, Govt. of Sikkim
- Singalila Trek :Permit is issued by the Adventure cell of Tourism & Civil Aviation Department, Govt. of Sikkim
- Yumthang Permit is issued by Police check post for Domestic Tourist and for foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police Check Post
- Yumesamdong /Zero Point Permit is issued by the Police check post for Domestic Tourist and for foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police Check Post
- Thangu-Chopta Valley Permit is issued by Police Check post for Domestic Tourist and for Foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police check post. Foreigners must apply through a Sikkim Tourism registered Travel Agent in groups of two people or more for visiting these areas.
- Gurudongmar :Permit is issued by the Police check post for domestic tourists and for foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department till Thangu.
- Green Lake Trekking Permit is issued by the Tourism Department after obtaining a valid permit from the Ministry of Home Department, New Delhi.
Restricted Area Permit is a valid permit for trekking anywhere in the South District for Foreign Tourist.
Mountaineering Expedition permit
Alpine Mountaineering Expedition permit is issued by the Tourism Department after obtaining a valid permit from Home Department, Government of Sikkim, Gangtok, for the following peaks :
- TinchenKhang 5603 metres ( West Sikkim)
- Jopuno 5935m (West Sikkim)
- Freys peak 5830m(West Sikkim)
- Lama Angden 5868m( North Sikkim )
- Brum Khangse 5433m ( North Sikkim )
National park and Wildlife Sanctuary entry permits are issued by Forest Department at Gangtok.
Suggested read : A Complete Travel Guide for Sikkim Tour Plan